I have served at the Cathedral since 1994. From 1984 – 1994 I lived and worked in Toronto, first on staff with the Diocese of Toronto, then as a Program Director on the national staff of the Anglican Church of Canada. I was born and raised in Ontario’s Niagara Peninsula (St. Catharines), received a BA (English Literature and Philosophy) from Trent University Peterborough Ontario (1973) and a Master of Divinity from Episcopal Divinity School Cambridge Massachusetts (1980).
Vancouver School of Theology honoured me with the Degree Doctor of Divinity (honoris causa) in 2009. Since being in Vancouver I have been active in the work of the Anglican Church nationally and internationally. You can read more about me on my Wikipedia page.
I am the Dean of the Diocese of New Westminster and the Rector of Christ Church Cathedral. My role description expresses it as follows:
Reporting to the Bishop and accountable to the Trustees, the Dean is a member of the leadership team of the Diocese of New Westminster and as Rector, is accountable for the development of the Parish’s vision, strategic objectives, and operational priorities.
- Gives leadership to teams of staff and volunteers in articulating, refining, and putting into action the Cathedral’s vision, strategic objectives, and priorities.
- Ensures highest possible staff performance through regular consultation and annual performance reviews. Works closely with Trustees to manage the fiscal realities and strategic planning for the Cathedral.
- Exercises primary leadership in preaching and teaching, enables the baptismal ministry of the Cathedral community, ensures provision of pastoral care, and gives leadership to liturgical planning and development.
- Facilitates the Cathedral’s work in building restoration and renewal through shared efforts in fund raising, project management, and coordination of vision with planning.
- Ensures the development of the Cathedral as Mother Church of the Diocese of New Westminster by convening and chairing the Cathedral Chapter and by taking the Dean’s responsibilities in the life of the Diocese.
- To be available, in consultation with Trustees and staff, to offer leadership in the wider church.
Contact me about
Orientation to the Cathedral’s ministries, pastoral care or liturgical questions